Q. How do I make sure I'm using the right link when I link to an item in a Library Database?
My teacher told me to use a permalink or a direct URL when linking to a database resource. What is that and how do I find it?
How Database Authentication Works
The authentication process that enables access to FCC library databases is moderated through a proxy server. For the process to work, when you are in a database, you can not use the URL in the address bar when you want to link back to an item (such as an article) you have found. You must use that item's "Permalink" or "Direct URL."
How to Get a Database Item's Permalink
- Go to the A - Z Databases pages at https://guides.frederick.edu/az.php
- Find the name of the database you want, then click the database name to access it (you will have to login if you're off-campus)
- Once in, navigate to the specific database item you want (Examples: an article or video)
- Click on the title of the item
- In the options menu (usually on the right-side of the page or directly above or below the item) you will see a list of tool options such as "Save," "Cite" etc. Look for an option called "Permalink" and or "Share" and click on it.
- This will display the items Record URL or Permalink. Copy that link and paste it where you need it!
If you've followed these steps and you are still having problems with a database link, please ask us through Chat or submit a request for assistance and a Librarian will get back to you ASAP.
Find FAQs about the COVID-19 shut down
Didn't find an answer? We are here to help! Look for our Chat Widget to Chat with a Librarian:
- Monday - Thursday, 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday, 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Saturday, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Missed us at chat? Submit a question through the link below and we'll reply ASAP or within 24 hours.