Q. How do I find legislation (laws) or court cases?
My instructor is requiring me to find legislation (laws) or court cases relevant to my research topic. How do I find this kind of legal information?
Start with background research! It’s difficult to find laws or cases without one or more of these details:
- A citation (e.g. 545 U.S. 1)
- Party names (e.g. Gonzales v. Raich), or
- The name of a law (e.g. Controlled Substances Act)
- State and year in which law was passed
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- CQ Researcher
- Issues & Controversies
Didn't find an answer? We are here to help! Look for our Chat Widget to Chat with a Librarian:
Interim/Summer Term Chat Hours: May 17 - August 13
- Monday - Friday, 11:00am - 4:00pm
- No Chat Services: August 16 - August 20
Missed us at chat? Submit a question through the link below and we'll reply ASAP or within 24 hours.