Q. How do I find legislation (laws) or court cases?
My instructor is requiring me to find legislation (laws) or court cases relevant to my research topic. How do I find this kind of legal information?
Start with background research! It’s difficult to find laws or cases without one or more of these details:
- A citation (e.g. 545 U.S. 1)
- Party names (e.g. Gonzales v. Raich), or
- The name of a law (e.g. Controlled Substances Act)
- State and year in which law was passed
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- CQ Researchers
- Issues & Controversies
If you do not find the answer to your question in our FAQ list, please contact us during business hours at the number posted below - or use the form below to email a question to us.